Derby Talk Car Building Mopar 66 Newport build

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  compactkiller 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Compactrookie
    Participant
    @compactrookie

mighy be building a 66 Newport this year for a local show going with 318 magnum

Champ
    Participant
    @therat17

It’s a y framer. Def a good car pretty easy engine and trans swap. How is the trunk and rear quarters on the car ? Are you looking for pointers on this build ?

Compactrookie
    Participant
    @compactrookie

Just trying to figure out how to make the front not move might put a imp frame on it and run it at the local fair they never look at cars or look at frames they just check for the battery and gas tank so I might do a frame swap

Champ
    Participant
    @therat17

If you can get away with an imp sub…. do it by far worth the time and effort!!!!

compactkiller
    Participant
    @compactkiller

Plenty of ways to make the front stiff without going imp sub. Got to think outside the box

Compactrookie
    Participant
    @compactrookie

I might do a frame swap and leave the imp frame at home or I’ll just shove pipe in the frame or plate the tops of the y but I’ll see how much welding i want to do

compactkiller
    Participant
    @compactkiller

It will just bend behind a-arm with to much stuffed in front of a-arms. Bumper selection, bumper height placement on front of y’s is very critical and a motor that stays running is more important than stuffing and welding. But thats just my $.02. Have only built and ran like 15 of them. But cars down here are pretty solid. Not as much rust as the farther north cars are.

Compactrookie
    Participant
    @compactrookie

If you stuff the front you can plate behind the a arms then it won’t bend behind the a arms I’ll prob run a soft bumper up front but I’ll fill the frame a local fair the inspectors don’t look under cars so I know a couple of guys that do it and get away with it

compactkiller
    Participant
    @compactkiller

Sounds like u got it all figured out

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.